Sunday, May 15, 2005

Finding Herb


He had been lost for more than half a century. Herb Cressman's C-47 Dakota, KG489, was shot down over Holland -- this much our family has known since September 1944. But we did not know what became of him. In 1950 Allied authorities abandoned their efforts to find his body. The Dutch, however, did not give up. Lex Roell spent his retirement trying to solve the mystery. He contacted Bev Cressman in 1996 with the news that he believewd he had tied Herb to a grave of an unknown British airman in Uden. In 1998, Roell succeeded in convincing the Commonwealth War Graves Commission that he had sufficient evidence to identify the unknown airman in Uden as my uncle, Herb Cressman. Finally, Herb had a headstone with his name on it and our family had a place to visit.


Now, the Dutch and Canadian governments are commemorating the 60th anniversary of the liberation of the Netherlands. My brother, Jeff Cressman, traveled with the Canadian military contingent to play in the pipe band. My father and I took the opportunity to join him. While there we attended official ceremonies. (Because I was writing for the Star-Phoenix, I had media credentials that allowed me to take some pictures up close. I've posted these photos online). We traveled along the Dutch Corridor of Operation Market Garden, then drove through Belgium and France to take the opportunity to visit the beaches of Normandy.

The trip allowed us to learn more about Herb -- that lost and loved brother and uncle who was one of so many sacrificed on our behalf. However, we were also impressed with the love and appreciation that the dutch people continue to express for their sacrifice. We are particularly grateful to new friends there, such as Louis Kleijne and Jurgen Swinkels in Sint Oedenrode and Antoon Verbakel in Uden. For their continued appreciation and for their warm friendship and hospitality we are most grateful.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was my Grandfather, whom I never had the opportunity to meet. I have his letters to the family and his flight book, which have provided me with a priceless insight to who this man was.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Are you Danny? Please let me know how I can reach you.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Danielle, I removed your email address from here and sent you an email.

Thanks!

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The opinions stated here are my own and in no way reflect those of Brigham Young University, its students, faculty, or sponsoring institution.